Sorry I didn't post last week. Normally its my Sunday routine to blog and catch up but we had a friends kids with us. I felt so out of spirits that day. I had woken up early with a cold, and was not up for having to extra kids at church and for the rest of the day or dealing with my own in all honesty. So I was not in the right spirit for church. Brig got home from work and we left in a whirlwind of kids and grumbling. Then as I was preparing to take the sacrement I felt I needed to repent for my murmuring. Then the spirit whispered you have no reason to complain, you should really be doing more. Our friend is a single dad of two little boys about Neddie and Etta's age. He had to work that day and his usual sister was out of town. He had tryed all week to find someone to watch them and we were the last resort. I looked down the aisle where there was brig, the two boys, Dani (my mom-in-law) and my kids. I had more help than I needed probably. We had been honestly anticipating more drama during church than usual but the Lord was obviously blessing us because we only had three potty breaks and one meltdown. Not bad for 6 kids ages 5 and under. Let's just say I was very humbled by the Lord's tiny lecture of my unwillingness to help others. I tryed to improve the rest of the day, reminding myself that today I'm not just mom to my kids but to these boys who are without one. So in light of my lesson I would like to encourage everyone to find a way to serve someone else, particularly on the day you don't feel like it.
Well last week was more than just babysitting. I finally was able to get together with a great friend from Rapid City that move back out here in a little while ago. Our boys were good friends and really missed each and have been anxious to get together again, but due to due dates (for both of us) and then moving again at the end of summer (again both of us) we finally got it in. I think I've mentioned before that I do miss Rapid City a great deal and seeing them to again restored a bit of that missing piece of myself. Being able to talk with Alisa again and share all the events and struggles that have happen this last year was very healing. We seemed to have simialr moves with pregnancy, than moving again and kids starting kindergarten and all the adjusting inbetween it was so nice to talk with someone about it all that was in the trenches too. I realized something profound after our day together. Maybe our search for normalacy is what makes us normal. I wrote about it Sunday night (I can't blog from our house we don't have the internet) so I'm going to try an dpost it here soon. It was one of those aha moments that just made me feel like I was doing alright. Tender mercy of the Lord!
This week I finally go the house in relative order. Bedrroms and bathrroms are mostly finished. I have a few decorating this and some repairs still and then it will be done. we did have the great water incident this weekend. The handle broke on the tube faucet and I couldn't get the water or it turned of for a while. Then The little pull tabs for turning on the shower broke (after a very muddy brig went to take a shower) in both bathrooms. Interesting ! I love Murphy's law I thinks its up there with gravity on my favorites list.
Lliam had his first field trip - they went to a local ranch and got to pick pumpkins and play on the playground. He was so excited about his pumpkin. One of the moms that went (I was a little late volunteering to go) told me how amazed she was by him. He's the smallest kid in his class (by a about a head) and yet he was one of the few that didn't need help getting up the ladder on the slide. Apparently she told him he was a spiderman - he didn't find that a compliment. "I am not spiderman." But he did have fun.
The missionaries came this week and we were talking about people that we could share the gospel with an dwhat we could do to have a gospel sharing home. When Lliam heard that having friends over was part of that he was so excited and made a list of friends to invite over. Unfortunately he used only the 5 letters he knows how to write. :) But he's excited. He's also decided to invite his teachers to his primary program next week. He's so fearless. We all really need to be more like little children. He's such as example to me.
Neddie has been enjoying sharing a room with Etta and they are doing well together. Lliam loves having Pheobe in his room with him and takes pride in taking care of her expecially in her going to sleep at night. I have the best kids in the world!
Lastly our ward last night had a provident living night. We all came and set up tables with different things that we could share about provident living. There was soapmaking, a simmer sack (so cool), jerky, homemanagement, 72 hour kits, swine flu prevention, herb medicine, honey bee stuff, pop can candle/burners, and brig did his homemade sausage and I did recycled clothing. It was so cool to learn what everyone there had to offer and what we could learn from each other. Also we were able to do some bartering. The Elders Quorum wants to make it a yearly thing so I am already excited for next year. The church has so much for us to learn and grow from and frankly the gospel is true! Life is great and family makes everything better!
5 comments:
Thank you, thank you for you post, Tyra! Today was one of those Sundays for me. I was not appreciating anything and definitely not in the right mood for church. I was grumbling all day long. I have nothing to complain about though. I have a beautiful, loving family. We are all safe and healthy.
I too have been doing a lot of thinking about missionary work. Conference started me thinking about it. Anyway, I've been praying to meet someone to share the gospel with. I want to be as fearless as Lliam!!
Thanks again for your post. It was a very good reminder to me of just how blessed I really am.
I miss and love you guys so much!!
I enjoyed this post because I have been feeling a little taken advantage of lately and was looking at some conference talks and noticed the one from President Monson "What Have I Done for Someone Today." It made me change my feelings about what I was doing for others instead of grumbling about it. I think this is another one of the great things about the Church is we all feel the same ways at times and can help each other. I think it helps to know that we are not alone, we all feel certain ways sometimes, and it's okay. Thanks for sharing.
ps- it's so not fair that you guys get to hang out!!!
hey tyra, you are amazing. thanks for your post. I was having a rough day today too, all selfish reasons focused on me. it does feel good to serve. and I've noticed that it usually comes at a time that is not convenient. but when it is done, it's good to know that you have helped someone. you are amamzing. hope we can see you guys soon.
You are amazing Tyra! That is so nice of you to watch your friend's kids in addition to your own. You are stronger than you know!
Hey-I found you! So fun to get the CRAZY kids together-we look forward to meeting up again. I think you're tough and admire your ability to turn it positive. Thanks for sharing!
PS Can normal be defined, really?
Post a Comment