Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer flys too fast

Wow So much has happened in so little time. We started off our summer leaving as soon as school and work were done and headed south to the Redwoods! It was so beautiful. We camped there and did a 1.5 mile hike in one of the groves. Our camping neighbors were french and we introduced them to the smore. Marshmellows are apparently an american thing! :) Then we moved onto Sacramento,CA where we stayed with Gabe and his family. Gabe is one of brig's best friends from high school and they hadn't seen each other in like 10 years. It was sun to finally put a face with the stories and to meet his wonderful family. The girls hit it off immediately- a shared love of all things Princess! We had hoped to see Michele and Chris but bad luck we just missed each other going in different directions. we miss ya'll! From there we went onto Yosemite! WOW! We camped there too, but didn't do any hiking - that place is packed! but it was really pretty and one day we'll go backa nd explore so more. then we moved onto Ylfe and Shawn's house. The kids loved seeing the cousins, although disappointed that it didn't include lego land like Nathan and Derek's trip did! Together we made our way to the Baird family reunion in St. George UT. The reunion was so much fun and it was wonderful to see everyone again. The talent show was my favorite part. Watching everyone share they're special gifts and some fun jokes. Lliam surprised us all (literally stealing the show maybe) with his NINJA moves, the girls did ballet of course and a newly inspired Pheobe showed off her walking. Brig showed his quilt and sand a beautiful and moving national anthem (yes brig actual has a REALLY good voice0, and I did sewing - I made capes for the kids since there was a suerhero theme fo rthe shirts. The kids had a blast, the pool being the obvious BIG HIT! We did do a LARGER group hike in Zion's in our matching T-shirts (capital sports wear did a great job- if anyone needs shirts let me know). The kids did a surprising 5 miles =/-! We also enjoyed Brigham youngs winter home, Pirate pizza, and of course the St. Georgge Temple for a large family photo shoot. Adam you did a great job! It was lots of fun. Then time to make the return loop. we stopped in Utah to visit Leslie and her little crew (so cute!) and were hoping to catch Matt and Michelle in SLC, but missed them and were very sad to have not been able to see them and little Maggie! We miss you guys greatly too. Then it was on to Grandma and grandpa Haroldsen along with Uncles Morgan and Levi, and Aunt Rachel (who's car is a big hit). the kids loved stay with grandpa in the tent trailer! Lastly on the way home we visited Aunt tess and Ryan (who was working) and little graham. It was so wonderful to see everyone and renew friendships. We hope to do it all again.

That was our offical vacation!
Since returning home, I have conquored innumberable amounts of laundry, and lost a freezer (and it's contents) - moment of silence. We've seen Toy story 3 (i cryed). I went to the midnight showing of eclipse along with a sequently twilight and new moon beforehand. Lliam and Brig and grandpa went to the last airbender - giving lliam more ninja moves.

Then this week we went camping in Olympic national park! We stayed to nights in Klaloch Beach. The camping is right off the beach. The kids loved the tidepools as did I. then we did some hiking in the Hoh rainforest and finally made it to the Timber (logging) meuseum in FORks. It was really cool and small town, but informative. I thought of you Meieli. Then drove through some other areas of the park looking for our patch ( we started collecting the national park patches and sewing them to our snugglie). Sol Duc hot springs are ok, but sticky, and Lake cresent is GORGEOUS! Port angeles is cute, and I would love to explore there more, but the Olympic NP Visitor Center there is great. I didn't take my camera in with me, an dI wish I had. It's a must. the kids center is fabulous, with games and activities about the area and its ecology. The kids loved it. the next day we broke camp and headed home, stoping to hike in Quinnualt rainforest. It was really beautiful. We had so much fun and I have so much laundry to do from it. but its memories and its worth it all! I'll have to post pictures seperately sorry, I'm not prepared today. Have a great summer and enjoy what's left!

5 comments:

Linda said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful summer! I would love to visit some of those places!! t

veryterry said...

whew! I was both tired and thrilled reading about your adventures! What a cool trip and it is so fun that your kids like to do the hiking. You are going to post pictures of this, right? Would love to see some of you and your kids. Take care!

Brittany @ My Decoupaged Life said...

Too bad we didn't know you were coming through, we could have seen each other briefly. But now we live in Houston. Sounds like you had fun!

Michele said...

I was so sad that we missed you guys. It would have been so fun to get together. We are hoping to make a trip out to Oregon next summer, so we'll see if it happens. Sounds like you had fun and I'm glad you were able to see Gabe and Emily, such a fun family.

Ylfe said...

Hey Brig and Ty! What a fun trip. It was so great to see you guys. Your kids are so sweet and adorable. We had a great time with you. Only wish we had more time together!