Sunday, April 11, 2010

Our trip to the olympic pennisula

So family fun magazine did an like thing about the washington pennisula and thought how cool I really want to check it out. Well imagine my surprise that forks (yes the forks) has a logging museum. Estacada is a logging community and it is something that was part of brig's growing up. He loves that logging show on the discovery channel. So when we finally had the oppuntunity to do our first daycation of the year we ventured north and went along 101 enjoying the scenery and a couple good books and of course some wonderful family time. Even though it was cloud and drizzly (no surprise) it was so beautiful. My favorite was the Olympic national park. We are planning are returning this summer for camping. I have never seen trees so green! Or a forest so dense! I was in total owe. Brig probably thought I was a real dork. I had to stop and take pictures of the moss covered trees. Stepping into that forest feels like going back in time, like dinosaur time. The ferns and trees are huge too! Then we went through Port Angeles, which is really cute. And then the coast line was gorgeous! This was the closest I have ever been to the US boarder, brig keeps promising a trip to canada so I can finally have traveled outside the US. Then we got to Forks. Really cute little town. There was so much twilight stuff. Stores dedicated to it (strange for a town taht size). They were even selling cullens pedigree charts - I'm not sure how that worked but they were there in the window. The town does boast a really impressive park though that made me jealous. It reminded my of the Soiux Park in Rapid city. We had to stop and ask directions to the logging museum, but we did find it. And it was CLOSED for the season. DANG! but they had a little hiking trail and so outdoor things. So that was really cool. My favorite was being able to see the moss up close. My first reaction was that it wasn't actually moss, but baby ferns. I'm sure that you can imagine brig's laughter at this point when he informed me that that is moss. I didn't believe him at first. but his laughter confined it. But it's really cool. I thought it would be slimy but its not. Anyhow I am way excited to return this summer and do so hiking and camping. Overall It was a breathtaking and wonderful trip. I hope you enjoy the pictures! (this was in march 2010 but it was such a wonderful trip that I really wanted to share it, I'm alittle behind)

2 comments:

Michele said...

Looks like you had a fun trip. It really looks beautiful there. Your kids sure are growing up. I have to say it is weird to see 4 kids with you guys. It feels like we just left Rexburg each with one child. It's nice to see pictures of your family on here!

Ylfe said...

Wow, it's looks so beautiful. And how fun to go to Forks! Thanks for sharing all these beautiful pictures and of course all your cute kiddos. We can't wait to see you guys!