I've been preparing to do a presentation (and booth) at an emergency preparedness expo next week on children and disasters (they go together like peanut butter and honey). I've realized Our family's ready levels could use a good push. So I explained emergency preparedness to my kids yesterday (again). And we read We Shake in a Quake by Hannah Gelman Givon. We reviewed our 72 hour kits and made a list (3 pgs). Today we went shopping (yes power mom here brings ALL 4 kids with her to the store and errands). We got almost everything (few wish list items and clothes to get but we were "done"). We packed it all while watching Harry potter (perfect book to pack since I could read it over and over and never get bored - kicking myself for not keeping our paper back copies). I now have 3 back packs and a duffle bag ready. Still need polish my organizing and get a few things but we're READY. Now my kids are calling dates for the big earthquake. Lliam put dibs on Easter since when Jesus came the first time the earth got really mad then - I can see the logic, besides I explained that the second coming would be preceding by disasters. Etta claimed tomorrow. They seemed a little crest fallen when I explained it could be years. Sorry to burst your bubble! Those new toys will have to wait. I told Etta if she wanted to play with her girlie Lego set she better start prayin. Consider yourselves warned! Either way we're feeling good.
So I want to extend a challenge - get ready! Have your kits ready by summer (last day of school). Post here when you done or on Facebook and pass the challenge on! Etta's prayin hard so Portland better buckle up :)
Sent from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment