Sunday, January 17, 2010

express yourself

Sometimes I just feel stretched. Like those little putty dolls that burst into powder if stretched beyond their limit (ironic) or Elastigirl (without the superpower). If I were to visualize myself at any given point during the day in varies positions that would make the game of twister look like criss-cross apple sauce (that’s kindergartener for sitting cross-legged). A screaming toddler dragged by a oozy sting of upper thigh 5 feet long. A hip extending 2 extra feet out to the left like a five years first written 2, so that I can try and cook while holding her and keep her from touching the pan. The Right foot is arched like a roman viaduct to avoid stepping on the cereal that’s still scattered on the floor from the past two days breakfast (and the lunch that dad feed them the day before that). My head would be like medusa, except it would be nice to look at people and turn them to stone, I might be able to control the 3 year dress up queen from changing into the 3rd dress in 15 minutes and the 5th on that will end up on the floor. Sticking out of my head would be numerous tentacles waving around keeping tabs on everything going on. One is trying to stare down the toddle while one close by tries to find the toy that she’s screaming over (if I have translated her correctly). Another paces between the washer and dryer, while another waits impatiently by the pile of clean laundry waiting to be sorted and put away (I imagine it is tapping its foot and glaring at Brig when he walks by it completely oblivious that it exists). Another is trying to open Lliam’s door to find out what toy he’s yelling out now, but of course he’s to mad at the toy to realize that he shouldn’t be mad at everyone else. One tentacle is longingly staring at the book I’m reading with Brig and hoping he gets up early this evening so we can read longer before he goes to work. A close friend of that one is contemplating the book that I read after Brig leaves and I got to bed. The refrigerator and cabinets are being inventoried for the ongoing shopping list that is long over do for being wiped clean (except for the one or two items I seem to forget to pick up). There’s one like a nose that’s trying to figure out which kid goes with the foul stench and praying I have enough diapers to make it to pay day. One is sitting on my head crying silently because he’s tired and selfish and really wants a time out. I usually don’t give it one till it pulls a tantrum and is no long quiet (When he loses control, he takes most of mine with him). The secretary tentacle is anxiously pouring over the calendars and to do list to make sure to keep things running smoothly. I should have fired her awhile ago, cause she really does a lousy job, but I am too nice. One sits at the computer thinking of things to write: PTA letters, Flier, Sunday school party invitations, and blogging (I love my blog time). My worry wart is in there somewhere. I need to have him looked and removed – they say skin growths that change size and color are unhealthy. The personal finance director is wracking her brain to remember if she paid on the bills and trying to remembering the latest figure so that she knows how much gas she can buy. Ones forgotten what she was doing cause she became a teething ring, and another simply thinks of food and wonders if there’s any chocolate left over (thanks for the reminder I have dark chocolate milk calling my name now). There’s few more that I try to ignore like the housekeeper that sounds more like a nagging mother asking why I have a pile of dishes and the bathroom aren’t clean and the floors haven’t been vacuumed, and on and on and on….. That’s why I try to ignore her but sooner or later she gets feisty and grounds me till its done. (I still pout about it too). Everyonce in awhile something catches all their attention – like Lliam asking if we can have a date to watch the sunset in the empty lot down the block. Or Etta’s vice like hug around my head where I can feel her dimples on my cheek and hear her giggling in my ear. Pheobe’s laugh when Brig does Donald duck. Neddie slipping a wad of paper in my hand telling me it’s a note. Brig’s simply hug that sometimes makes me want to cry because of the relief it offers with its shelter. The buzz of my sewing machine working on a new article of clothing commissioned by the kids, and I think of the excitement as I tell them I finally finished it. That reminds me of all the mending and projects that I want to be doing and the medusa is back. Arms extend like an octopus and two unload the dishwasher, while trying to rinse dishes to fill it, and more set the table, and the last two wait for the rest to be finished so they can wash the two plates that I need to be ready to serve dinner. Eventually they all calm down and fold themselves for the prayer and we eat, (or at least attempt to after all I have 5 mouths to feed including my own). I think I need to unwind (rewind).

No comments: